Tuesday, August 10, 2010

FreeBSD LAN Party, and some Ekam work

My weekend was mostly consumed by a LAN party. And the most interesting part: I used FreeBSD exclusively for the whole party.

Games that ran natively:

  • Quake (darkplaces port)

Games that completely worked under Wine:

  • Duke Nukem 3D (xDuke port)
  • Alien Swarm
  • StarCraft 2
  • Unreal Tournament 2004*
  • Unreal Tournament 3*

Games that ran but had significant problems under Wine:

  • Left 4 Dead 2: Disconnected after a random time period claiming that the server could not authenticate me with Steam. Bug 23286, still undiagnosed.
  • Team Fortress 2*: Fonts in configuration windows did not render. However, in-game fonts rendered fine, so the game was playable after copying over my configs from a Windows installation. Bug 19522, also undiagnosed.

Games that did not run at all under Wine:

  • none

I'm seriously considering running the game stations in my future house on FreeBSD (or Linux) so that I can customize them better (and avoid paying for Windows).

* Games that I installed and tested, but were not played at the party.

Ekam work

I did spend some time working on Ekam, but it was mostly refactoring. Nothing interesting to report. (I should have it working on Linux and OSX soon, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment